Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Embrace the Pace

I like Pop Tarts. Strawberry, blueberry, or chocolate, it really doesn’t matter to me because quite frankly, there just delicious. I am not really sure who first decided to create a light and fluffy pastry, then fill it with savory fruit filling, but I am quite certain his or her brilliance has not received the recognition it truly deserves.

I read a statistic the other day that got me thinking and reflecting. On the back of a Pop Tart package are two sets of instructions. One for toaster preparation and one for microwave preparation. Guess which one people use most….you got it. Eight out of ten people zapfry their Pop Tart. And why? Because who has 90 seconds to waste? 90 seconds? Really!??

This is simply a microcosm of life. NO ONE WANTS TO HAVE TO WAIT FOR ANYTHING. Now, let me tell you why that’s a big problem in our walk with God, because with God, TIMING IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN TIME. God is a planner, a strategist; He is incredibly organized and has a definite flow and pace.

I am slowly but surely learning the rhythm of God for my life and ministry. Undo pressure usually accompanies us when we are out of the pace of God for our lives. Listen to Proverbs 16:9, We should make plans, counting on God to direct our steps. Here’s another one, Proverbs 16:3, Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. Adopt and embrace the pace of God for your life. All great achievements require time, and true joy is found in the journey not the destination.

I was reading about the years during one of the darkest hours of our nation’s history, the Civil War. One statesmen asked Abraham Lincoln, “Are you sure God is on the Union’s side?” President Lincoln’s response made me pause for reflection. He said, "I do not know. I have not really thought about that. But I am very anxious to know whether we are on His.”

This has moved me since I have read it to find joy, regardless of setbacks and struggles, just in knowing I am on God’s side. Building a vibrant and healthy church is not easy by any stretch of the imagination, and while leadership, strategy as well as great people and planning are all necessary, we who are in ministry cannot ever forget Psalm 127:1, Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it.

Great Pastors are like candles, they must keep cool and yet burn at the same time.

Henry Ward Beecher said, “The true strength of a man consists in finding out which way God is going, and going that way.” I think he’s right. There is no time lost in waiting when you are waiting on the Lord.

Now, I am not talking about sitting around and doing nothing hoping God will finally take pity on you and bless our pitiful lives. GOD NEVER BLESSES LAZY. Never has and never will. I am simply saying the scripture reveals a consistent pattern of WORKING and WAITING. Do all you can, as often as you can for as long as you can and realize that God has a due date for you.

The word says to never grow weary in doing good, if you won’t faint or give up God will cause you to harvest and gather in his time. He knows when the right time is and we either trust Him or we don’t. Our obedience to Him is greater than all of our sacrifice.

So let’s have a moment of truth. Are you frustrated with God? Have you questioned why you seem stalled or slowed? Have you wondered why it seems God is blessing others lives and efforts more than yours? Here it is….everyone is on their own pace with God and you have one too, the key is to discover and embrace it. If you are doing all you know to do, you are on track, and when your due date comes nothing can stop it.

So until next week, embrace your pace and watch God work.

All for Christ,
J.Mark

3 comments:

  1. The reminder about God's perfect timing was an encouragement to me today, thank you! And "yes and amen" to the deliciousness of Pop Tarts, brother! I must admit I've never even thought of nuking one - I'm a toaster girl all the way. I should have that much steadfastness about waiting on the Lord! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the evotionals every week they are always encouraging, thank you for your obedience to God Pastor Mark.
    I was reading this week about why God seems to answer or move in some peoples's lives more than others and it was put so plainly in that it's not because God favors them more but because they favor God more. I get frustrated with the busyness of our earthly lives I think that is why I long for a simpler time sometimes. Patience with God's timing is hard, but its never not been worth the wait. I have to remind myself when I get impatient He has the advantage of foresight and ALWAYS has my best interest at heart. He's a good Father.

    As for pop tarts I'm a toaster girl too, I think its better. I heard once that during the hurricane season's pop tarts are one of the top 5 foods purchased in the south states?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mark -- Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading yours and Tina's blogs. Your words are all to often exactly what I need to hear right at that time. Thank you for listening to and obeying God. I'm sure there are a lot of people like me who truly enjoying reading your God inspired words, but don't always take the time to leave a comment to let you know what a blessing you are. In fact I have tried to leave a comment before, but couldn't get it to "take" (not to computer literate). Anyway, I'm trying again. Hope this "takes". Love and appreciate you both so much.

    ReplyDelete