Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Spiritual Audit

Years ago as a much younger leader I had a thought. I was in one of these reflective moments that analytical people often find themselves in when something occurred to me, we have CPA’s to keep us liquid, lawyers to keep us legal, and doctors to keep us healthy but very few people, if any, have someone close enough in their life to help them keep their spiritual accounts in order.

The truth is most of us don’t really want people peering into our souls and delving deep into the recesses of our minds and examining our thoughts and intents. Why? Because we know what’s there.

We don’t like to talk about it or admit it but the truth is we all have deep struggles and challenges. My moment of reflection led me to develop a SPIRITUAL SELF AUDIT. I recently shared eighteen questions with my staff over a two week period that I have developed to keep things in my spirit, heart and mind in proper order and to insure that I am moving progressively towards God and His will for my life.

I have learned an invaluable lesson in walking with God these seventeen years. Our most difficult leadership challenge will always be ourselves. We can never effectively lead others until we learn to develop deep levels of leadership in our own lives.

I just read the famous story of David at Ziklag. Here is a man who had been used to winning his whole life, and while off conducting business, returns home only to discover that he and all of his men’s homes have been destroyed, their possessions stolen and their families kidnapped. To add insult to injury, while he is mourning his own personal losses, his own men begin to cast blame and lay fault at David’s door. The Bible says that they were even plotting to kill him.

At this pivotal moment David quickly assesses who needs leadership the most. His army? His advisors? His captains? In the end he quickly realizes the person who needed leadership the most was himself, and so the bible says that, “David strengthened himself with trust in his God.”

Self leadership is the foundation of true spirituality and the key to powerful influence in this world for God. Obviously, I can’t share all eighteen questions here but let me give you a few for your own personal audit and see if they won’t help you find a pulse for how your spiritual heart is beating.

1.- AM I CONTENT WITH WHO I AM BECOMING?- Everyday our actions and attitudes are forming and shaping the people we are and eventually will become. Given your habits and proclivities today, what will you look like and be like tomorrow? Don’t kid yourself, you are becoming something, the question is what is it? No person can climb beyond the limits of their own character.

Too many people have learned to hide who they truly are by simply shrouding it in what they do. But the truth is living a double life will get you nowhere twice as fast. The scripture says that God desires truth in the inward parts. That simply means God requires complete honesty from us and desires to lead us to authentic transformation.

I read something the other day that impacted me. It said, “Your life will be summarized in one sentence. Pick it now.”

2.- AM I BECOMING LESS RELIGIOUS AND MORE SPIRITUAL?- The Pharisees of the New Testament were religious, but Christ was and is spiritual. The difference between religion and true spirituality is basically a matter of control. Religion is an experience I can control while authentic spirituality is an experience that controls me.

Every time I shift emphasis from doing something for God to just pursuing my Father with everything within me I feel my spirit man growing. With God it’s all about the relationship.

3.-IS OBEDIENCE TO SMALL MATTERS BUILT INTO MY REFLEXES?- Read this carefully. The true mark of maturity and servitude is REACTION TIME. In other words, the more mature we are in Christ, the quicker we are to obey his voice and will for our lives.

When God speaks to us and we wrestle with it for long periods of time it means we trying to decide whether or not we are going to follow his will or ours. The more Lordship He has in our lives the quicker our response time.

Paul spoke in one place of being a good soldier for Christ. Well, soldiers follow orders without hesitation. My prayer is that He will help me become this kind of a soldier.

As I said these are just few questions in the spiritual audit, if you want more of the audit leave a comment with your email and we’ll shoot them to you.

Thanks for participating. I do this every week in the hopes someone will be inspired towards deeper places and higher heights.

God bless and I’ll see you next week.

All for Christ,

J. Mark

2 comments:

  1. Pastor – this is right on target! Thank you for being faithful.
    This goes with our life group study-
    to see the Fruit of the Spirit in our lives, knowing the garbage must be taken out.
    First, we must identify GARBAGE. Yeah, sounds easy. However, I have found when looking at myself - what is garbage and what is keep sakes? Kinda like the attack. HA!
    Your questions would be a GREAT tool.
    Thanks, Belvelina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stuff like this is awesome, I love it. It makes me really dig deep, and when I do that, I get stretched and I grow.

    Back in the day, I went to Christ Central in LC and listened to Pastor Lonnie talk about how you could compare how strong your faith is to a tree. Weak faith is like a scrawny tree with shallow roots. Strong faith is like a well-nourished tree with deep roots. I think the question to ask ourselves was how strong was our tree?...or something along those lines. It got me thinking.

    Whenever you get a chance, I would really like to see the other questions, either through facebook or at alexcarter21@live.com. I'm sure ol Rob and his girl Maggs would too. Thanks for always keeping us on our toes, ready to dig deeper in our walk.

    ReplyDelete