Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Dream On

Have you ever said something or done something that you thought would excite people and be well received only to be shocked and devastated by a flurry of negative response?

I’ll bet I just got an amen from somebody, somewhere.

I sincerely strive for wisdom in everything I do, especially in dealing with people and leadership as a Pastor. But I have also come to understand that there are some unavoidable trials and companions to visionary leadership that must be accepted.

One of those is the fact that not everyone will always be excited about your dreams and the vision that God gives you. It doesn’t mean they are bad people, it just means that sometimes not everybody gets it. The key is to understand that criticism is a normal occurrence that always surrounds dreamers and to not allow the dream to be surrendered simply because some negativity is present.

At times, ingratitude and criticism are merely prices you pay for leaping past mediocrity and daring something others are not doing. Jesus healed a man and changed his life forever, but because of the time in which he did it, he was horribly criticized. In another place He heals ten lepers only to have one return to say thank you while the other nine continued on their way ungrateful for His time and effort.

Learn this lesson well, if you move with God you WILL be critiqued and questioned often, however, no one can ever make you feel average without your permission. Whenever God calls you to leave His mark you will always attract erasers but it doesn’t matter as long as you stay the course.

I love the Celtic proverb that says, “It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, if the wolves refuse to participate with the legislation.” What it means is, nothing will change no matter who says what if everyone doesn’t agree and participate.

It is unrealistic to think everyone will always agree or see the same value as you do over what God is calling you to do. Let me give you a scripture you ought to put in your heart if this blog is ringing your bell, Romans 12:18, “If possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.” Notice the words, “IF POSSIBLE.” If there were not legitimate times when everyone won’t be in agreement than God would have never included these words in scripture.

Just because everyone doesn’t catch your vision or see it your way does not mean their wrong and it doesn’t mean you’re wrong. It simply means God has given you a journey that doesn’t include everyone. What makes it hard is that we secretly wish everyone would go with us but they won’t and shouldn’t.

God has a journey for them and we should pray and hope for His perfect will to be done in there life. Agreeable disagreement is a sign of tremendous maturity and health. It is the mark of Godliness and confidence in knowing what He has called each of us to do.

Besides, if criticism had any real power to harm, the skunk would have been extinct by now. Be confident in what God has spoken to you and don’t take things so personally when everyone doesn’t leap for joy at your dream. If you are persistent you will finally get where He wants you to be.

Remember, through perseverance, even the snail reached the ARK.

Does this ring true with you? Take 20 seconds and leave a comment. Give me some of your thoughts on the subject.

God Bless and I’ll see you next week.

All for Christ,
J. Mark

8 comments:

  1. Right on pastor. It is so easy to say, "I'll never share anything with them ever again" when you think you've come up with a great idea and someone else sends it to file 13. But we have to keep trying, keep learning, and continue having confidence in ourselves and our Christ. And we have to keep loving, and not get offended. Your message is right on point. -Heidi (couldn't sign on for some reason under the ID section so leaving my name here.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for posting Heidi. Your right, refusing to be offended is probably the greatest spiritual discipline we could ever learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is AMEN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was something I needed to read and it came at the right time. My husband and I are making a decision that people I know is going to down us and drag me threw the dirt and I've been worried . But I feel like God lead me to read this tonight and I feel a peace inside.And you are so right every one is going to have an oppion don't mean it's going to be what we want but we just need to worry about Gods oppion thats all that really counts anyways.I wish I could get to the point not to let people offend me like I do.I want to be stronger in that area,Paster Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. We said Pastor...AMEN

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great truth you have hit on today pastor!!!! You seem to always have a word just when I need it the most...Love and appreciate you and your ministry at CCA...Keep up the good "Word"...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce WetheringtonApril 5, 2009 at 6:50 PM

    This is a much needed Word from the Lord. I will always remember the snail and the ark !!!Thank you for your wisdom and love for all of us to help us in every area of our Christian walk. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete