Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Fail-Safe??

Those who expect nothing are never disappointed, and those who never try anything never have to deal with failure.

But what kind of a life is that?

Trust me, anyone who is currently achieving anything in life or ministry, is simultaneously risking failure. It is always better to fail at doing something than to excel at doing nothing. I don’t care how mangled it is, a flawed diamond is still more valuable than a perfect brick.

I have somewhat of an obsession with studying and observing great leaders in life and history and I have discovered that one of the differences between average leaders and excellent leaders is how they perceive and respond to failure. In fact, there is a distinct correlation between spiritual maturity and how quickly one responds and rebounds from failure.

People who are spiritually less developed seem to have a tendency to hold on to their past failures longer than those who are stronger in their faith. Here is a huge moment of truth for you….FAILURE IS JUST A SITUATION, NEVER A PERSON.

Paul Galvin, at the age of thirty-three, had twice failed miserably in enterprise. Then he attended an auction of his own storage-battery business and, with his last $750, bought back the battery-elimination portion of it. This part later became a little side-venture called MOTOROLA. Upon his retirement in the late 1960’s, he advised his company in his last address with these words, “Never fear mistakes, you...will…know…failure, but it is not a force to be feared but rather a fact to be faced. The mistake-riddled life is much richer, more interesting, and more stimulating than the life that has never taken a stand and believed for something great.”

I read these words and something inside me screams…bring it on! God holds in reserve His greatest power and favor for those who jump in water over their head and dare to strive for things beyond the safe and comfortable places.

The man who invented the eraser had the human race pretty well figured out but I try to always keep in mind that there is more lead in the pencil than eraser at the top. As long as I write more than I erase I’ll eventually complete the novel. In other words, always focus on what’s left not on what you have lost.

The book of Ecclesiastes offers this instruction, "In the day of prosperity be joyful, but in the day of adversity consider.” Translation… whenever you fall, pick something up while your down there. The only true failure is never learning from your mistakes. The key to truly being free from the stranglehold of past failures and mistakes is this: LEARN THE LESSON AND FORGET THE DETAILS.

The enemy never wants us to remember the lessons, his goal is to get us trapped and bogged down in the details of our failures. The secret is to gain from the experience while not allowing the experience to dominate your life. I have fallen down and I’m sure I will again, it’s a part of dreaming, pressing, building and striving. But what I know is that my CALL is always greater than my FALL.

What about you, tell me what you think. I had some great responses last week. Take 20 seconds and leave a comment so someone can benefit from your thoughts and encouragement.

Thanks for reading and participating and I’ll catch you next week.

All for Christ,
J.Mark

3 comments:

  1. My 40 day study regarding "Quiet Time" this week was about Thankfulness and how we can so easily remember the bad things that happen and forget the good. It reminded me that it all starts with a thought and WE choose which thoughts will consume us. Paul hit the nail on the head when instructing us "Think on these things" because the mind can be a tool or a weapon of distruction, and WE make the decision which one! Press on Pastor, good word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great word pastor...as you have said many times..failure is not final....I hate to fail at anything...I've learned over the years sooner or later it will happen...failure has taught me to be a hard worker...I took the scripture to heart that says.."whatever your hands find to do, do with all of your might as unto the Lord"..thanks for always having a "right on" message for us.....you are a blessing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement to dive in! You are so right - if I always played it safe and never attempted, there would be no color in my life and it would look pretty boring. What I have learned from my failures is invaluable and could never be learned from books or lectures or even the example of others. The lesson is indelible when I've lived it myself.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete