Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Excellence

I believe that more problems in this world have been caused by the weakness of good than by the strength of evil.

Evil proliferates not so much because of the wicked but because of the weak who disagree with it but do nothing.

THE TIME IS ALWAYS RIGHT TO DO THE RIGHT THING. The true measure of a person is found in his height of ideals, the breadth of his sympathy, the depth of his convictions, and the length of his patience.

The book of James in the Bible is so powerful simply because it’s so practical. The point of the moment of truth today is found in this book of wisdom when it says, "To the one who knows to do the right thing and doesn’t do it, to him it is a sin.”

What does it mean to be a person of excellence? Well, I am certain there are as many definitions out there as there are people who read this weekly blog, but let me share with you what it means to me at this particular stage of my life and walk with God.

To me it’s about sincerely seeking what is true and right, and what is just and pure. It is a quest for the heart and mind of God and a deep longing for His thoughts and ideas about everything in my life from my relationship with my wife and children to the ministry and responsibility to which He has called and equipped me for.

And once I am convinced I know His heart on these issues…..DOING IT WITHOUT RESERVATION OR HESITATION. To stall or hesitate means to question His authority in my life and to entertain the vain ideology that perhaps I know better than Him.

IF YOU WANT GREATNESS, THEN FORGET ABOUT PURSUING GREATNESS. EARNESTLY PURSUE GOD’S WILL AND THEN YOU WILL FIND BOTH.

It is a great day in a man’s life when he discovers that God is far more concerned with him being Holy than He is with him being happy. Don’t get me wrong the two are not mutually exclusive but the world would have you believe they are.

The mantra of the world is “Live only for yourself” and their theme song is “If it makes YOU happy, then do it.” How utterly empty and decaffeinated the life lived only for itself is.

True happiness is only found in holiness and holiness is simply about following the Fathers purposes and plans for our lives. True success has really nothing to do with the amount of money you have or where you live or what you drive. Success is peace of mind that comes from knowing you did your very best and left nothing in the bag in your pursuit of God and His will for your life.

With God’s grace I have settled, determined and concluded that I will not be a dropout, a cop out, or a holdout but through his strength I am determined to be A SOLD OUT. When you stand for what’s right, then you win, even if it seems like you “lost.”

I seem to remember a scripture here….hmmmmm…something about losing one’s life to find it, you remember it don’t you? Jesus did his best to frame the picture of what a life lived sold out to God would look like and He is our ultimate example of TRUE SUCCESS.

I read this quote 3 days ago and have come back to it several times since. Richard Huseman said, “Be driven by excellence. To be driven by excellence we must ask one important question: Have we demanded enough of ourselves, and by our example, inspired those around us to put forth their best effort and achieve God’s dream for their life?”

Oh God, help me….let my life matter to and for someone else, but ultimately for you. Take a few seconds and leave a comment, your words encourage me and others as well.

Until next week, when you know the right thing to do, JUST DO IT.

All for Christ,
J. Mark

5 comments:

  1. Great definition of excellence. It brings me back to the sermon when you said, "it's fantastic if you say and really believe you're not afraid of anything. But the more important question is, is the devil afraid of you?" When we hold ourselves to the standards you've described, I can't help but picture the demons biting their nails.

    Good stuff this week, as always. Thank you. --Heidi S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ALWAYS enjoy reading your blogs. I appreciate your being so blunt and I also appreciate the fact that you tell it like it is. CCM Alachua is going to EXPLODE at some point and "rock" the little town of Alachua! They won't know what hit them and it is ALL good! BTW- I also appreciate the fact that you and Tina both are always "arms open wide" and that you are genuine and loving...
    Tammy Crews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always enjoy your blogs pastor....also your sermons that are so full of wisdom and compassion for souls....how fortunate we are at CCA to have the fine leadership of you and pastor Tina...we don't take it for granted...Easter sunday was awesome.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to be a SOLD OUT!!! Thanks, for your words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow your blog touch me a lot and your wifes blogs too I like that you are straight forward with the word that God has given you to share with many people.Your right thow my husband gets so agervated sometimes when were strapped for money, and I tell him even if we had all the money in the world would that make you happy. No it would not because with out God we are empty and unhappy.And i'm going to make him read this blog your bloggs are a blessing.Thanks

    ReplyDelete